Wednesday, April 27, 2016


Called to Christ
Quotes are taken from the New American Standard Bible

Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.
John 20:30-31
 
As I mentioned in last week's sermon, when the Apostle John wrote, his goal was to lead others to faith in Christ, to "believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name" (John 20:31b).
 
Jesus proclaimed that He had come to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10); John the Baptist testified that Jesus was sent to earth to take away the sins of the world (John 1:29); and Jesus further testified that no one can come to the Father except through Himself (John 14:6). Given all of this, we have little choice but to share John's motivation, for the condition of those who do not yet know Christ is dire. Much of the time, however, I have trouble motivating myself to get out of the bed in the morning let alone tell someone about Jesus. The thought of walking up to a complete stranger and communicating the Gospel so effectively that they'll fall to their knees and pray the “sinner’s prayer” is terrifying. Of course, that is a complete distortion of what we are called to do.
 
The deceiver tries to bend God’s Word to his own advantage (see Eve in the garden or Jesus at His temptation), and this is what he does when it comes to evangelism. We convince ourselves that it's our job to win others to Christ, and that the only way to witness is to wander from door to door with a Bible, directly confronting strangers with the Good News. In truth, however, that form of evangelism is not something all of us are called to.
 
Most of the people I have led to Christ are ones I’ve known for years - my brother and sister, kids I’ve prayed with at camp or Youth Fellowship, even the drunken man I prayed with one day right on North Main street here in Berlin. All of these interactions happened naturally and flowed from relationships that were built-up over time.
 
When it comes to those we don’t know, we're more likely to witness to them indirectly. A few years ago I came upon a man struggling to change a flat tire. After initially declining my offer of help, the man quickly realized that his attire (white shirt and silk tie) wasn't suitable for car repair, and before long I (in my sweats) was changing the tire. While we made small talk, I shared that I was a pastor and, as the man prepared to go, I told him I would pray for him.
 
Although it would have made for a much more interesting story, I didn't win that gentleman to Christ that day. I’m certain, though, that I used what influence I had in a way that honored my call to Christ.
 
You may not have regular opportunities to pray with someone as they answer their call to Christ, but you will undoubtedly get many chances to answer your call - to share your faith as you live in a way that brings Him honor and glory. In living a quiet life, behaving properly toward outsider, you can be Gospel-centered, and in doing so answer your call to Christ.
 
Image courtesy of www.freepik.com

No comments:

Post a Comment